Mastering Lace Knitting
Friday 23 to Sunday 25 October 2015
Friday 23 to Sunday 25 October 2015
at the Portbyhan Hotel, Looe, Cornwall
Fancy joining me for a weekend of lace knitting in the Cornish fishing village of Looe?
I'm holding my first knitting retreat from 23 to 25 October in Looe, Cornwall. I'm so excited to announce this. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. As lace knitting is what I'm best known for, I've decided that the topic for the week will be 'Mastering Lace Knitting' and it's suitable for all abilities of lace knitting. Whether you're completely new to lace knitting or you're a more experienced, lace knitter, you will learn something from this retreat.
I'm combining lessons on various topics with time for you to work on a lace project. I will give you a choice of lace projects to work on during the weekend. They will be graded according to difficulty. So if you're completely new to lace knitting, choose the easiest project, or if you're more experienced, choose the intermediate project.
There will be five sessions over the weekend and each session starts with a lesson on a specific topic and the rest of the session will be spent working on your project with my help if needed.
This is a holiday so there will be time to relax and explore Looe as well. We've also included a Cornish Cream Tea and delicious meals in the hotel's fantastic restaurant. Wait till you see the view from the restaurant. We'll be fighting over the window seats.
The retreat will take place at the newly refurbished 3 star Portbyhan Hotel overlooking the fishing port of Looe. Take a break from knitting and take a stroll around Looe and enjoy the many shops and pubs on offer. Or perhaps take a walk along the Cornish Coastal Footpath. If non-knitting partners or families wish to accompany you on your trip to Cornwall, there is plenty of attractions in South East Cornwall for them to enjoy including gold clubs, theme parks and the nearby Eden Project.
Topics taught will include:
· The basics of lace knitting
· How to read charts
· Use of stitch markers and lifelines to make lace knitting easier
· Cast ons/cast offs suitable for lace knitting
· Provisional cast on
· How to add beads
· Fixing mistakes
· Knitted On Edgings
· Shawl shapes
On arrival you will get to know each other over a Cornish Cream Tea while I introduce the weekend and the projects you can choose from. The projects will be shawls/scarves aimed at various levels of experience. Whether you've never knitted lace before or you're a more experienced lace knitter, there will be a project suitable for your skill level.
The weekend will be a combination of lessons and free knitting time where you will gain experience in lace knitting while working on your chosen project.
Cost: £300 which includes all lessons, a lace shawl project which includes yarn, pattern, knitting needles, beads and crochet hook, a goody bag with a selection of knitterly treats, Cornish Cream Tea, two dinners, two lunches, afternoon tea and refreshments during lessons.
Accommodation is not included but you are encouraged to book accommodation at the Portbyhan Hotel and we have organised special rates for you (£45 per person per night if sharing and £65 per person per night for single room, which includes breakfast). You are not required to stay at the Portbyhan Hotel to attend the retreat, so if you wish you can book other local accommodation.
Please read before booking:
- Retreat price does not include accommodation. If you wish to stay at the Portbyhan Hotel please book your accommodation directly with the hotel, stating that you are attending the YarnAddict Retreat.
- Payment schedule:
- £100 deposit is due on booking. Your booking is not confirmed until we receive £100 deposit.
- £100 is due by end of June 2015.
- £100 is due by end of July 2015.
- If preferred, full payment of £300 can be paid on booking.
- We reserve the right to cancel the retreat by 14 August 2015 if there aren't enough bookings. That will give you two weeks to cancel your hotel room at the Portbyhan Hotel.
- If we cancel the retreat, a full refund will be given.
- If you need to cancel your booking, we will refund the money paid to date minus a £50 administration charge.
- Cancellations made after 14 August 2015, will not be refunded unless we can fill your space from our waiting list. In that case we will refund the money paid, minus £50 administration charge.
The YarnAddict 2015 Retreat will cost £300 which includes:
- A lace shawl project in a YarnAddict Project Bag which includes yarn, pattern, knitting needles and beads/crochet hook if applicable.
- A goody bag containing various knitterly goodies in a YarnAddict Tote Bag.
- The Lace Basics Booklet
- The following meals are included:
- Cornish Cream Tea on arrival on Friday
- Afternoon Tea before departure on Sunday
- Three course dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings
- Two course lunch on Saturday and Sunday
- Refreshments during teaching sessions
- Drinks during meals and 'free time' are not included
- Minimum knitting skill required: knitters must be able to cast on, cast off, knit and purl with confidence. No lace knitting skills are necessary.
- Please note: the hotel does not have parking but there is a public car park a short walking distance away. If you require transport to/from the car park please let us know and we will arrange that.
So do you fancy joining me in Looe for a weekend of knitting and spending time with other knitters? Go ahead and book your place now!